This is my favorite soup growing up. My mom always cooks this especially when I have the flu. Now, I’m doing the same with my kids. This is a hit with my kids. They love this soup! I really like it when i use butter, the flavor is extra special and extra creamy…yum!
- 3tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 medium size carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 cup cabbage, diced (optional)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 2 hotdogs, sliced (optional)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2cup macaroni noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 boiled eggs sliced (optional)
To make the chicken broth:
In a medium pot, add 10 cups of water, chicken and salt. Bring to a boil until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and let it cool for a minute or two. Diced or shred the chicken. Reserve the broth for later.
Tips: You can also put the eggs while making the broth, just make sure you wash the eggs before putting them in. The chicken is cooking while you’re boiling eggs
- Heat the butter or oil in a saucepan then sauté the garlic and onion, cook until translucent
- Add carrots, hotdogs, cooked chicken and broth and boil for 2 minutes
- Add the macaroni noodles and cook until al dente.
- Add cabbage and cook until half done.
- Season to taste.
- Add milk
- Boil once then serve hot, topped with sliced egg.